Saturday, June 8, 2013

Tantrums.

Dear Mama,
I can't handle all the thoughts and feelings I have all at once right now. 

1. I am past the point of tired.
2. I am a little hungry.
3. I am a little thirsty.
4. I tried to communicate about this umbrella, but you didn't understand.
5. I wanted you to repeat what I was saying, but you repeated the wrong words.
6. I really need a few extra kisses and hugs.
7. I see you are in the middle of cooking, but I can't wait until you're done.

Please see that this is me not knowing what to do with frustration. I was frustrated a little bit ago when I couldn't move that chair the way I needed to. It helped when you noticed and suggested I try a different angle. Then I was frustrated with your shoes that wouldn't fit me, but I figured out I like the flopping noise they make down the hall. I hugged your leg and asked to be picked up in my nice voice and you said your hands were full and you could in a minute. Well, I stopped counting when the minute got past 6 seconds....

.......Finally, this umbrella, this blasted thing. I can't bend it and it's too long to fit in the cupboard. I can't take it anymore. If I don't have the strength of The Hulk to make this work, I'll just freak out. Plus, my belly feels funny and my head hurts a little. Yep, just going to...Freak OUT!

I hear your voice from around the corner. I try to understand that you have got your hands full of raw chicken breast and you can't come sit next to me or scoop me up. I don't want you to save me from my emotions, but moral support IS helpful. Thanks for telling me to sit down when I'm throwing this fit because at least I won't run my head into a wall, like I've done while upset before. Thanks for talking in a calm soothing voice. And finally, thanks for asking if I want to go to bed. Yes! I want to go to bed!

In all seriousness, I'm so thankful you acted on it quickly today. Sometimes you ask, and I say yes and immediately, I start feeling better. It's kind of like when you're starving and just sitting down at a restaurant makes you feel better. Then after you have mentioned bedtime, when I stop crying, sometimes you think you have just a couple more minutes to "finish up" what you are doing. Just so you know, "finishing up" takes a century in my eyes. A CENTURY. While I wait a century, I get all worked up again. The more times I get worked up, the harder it is for me to calm down enough for sleep. Not that you have to follow my measly suggestions, but maybe just do what you did tonight, when I start to break down. Maybe we could all avoid that heartbreak.

My tantrum triggers are, exhaustion, hunger, and frustration all building at the same time. I'll lay it out, just so you know. The new game plan is to ask if I'm ready for bed and listen to my answer. Mama, you know me, and you know I don't agree to bed unless I'm tired. You also have never known me to refuse bedtime if I am tired. Just keep trusting me Mama.

Keep trusting me and communicating openly, I'll try to learn how to keep these emotions in check. I can't tell you how long it will take, but I can tell you I'll try my best as long as you work with me to figure it out. 

Sorry again for my break down tonight. I know it will be better in the morning. Love you bushels and pecks and to the moon and everything those books say.

Seriously love you,
Your sleepy Kami Lou



Here is a link to dealing with temper tantrums however infrequent they might be in your house. http://www.teach-through-love.com/temper-tantrums.html

No comments:

Post a Comment